ali and chase home home about bigday registry blog contact

I just can’t stop

OK, I lied! One more project! I’ve been working on these helpful info booklets to go in each of the hotel guest bags.  Of course, every idea I have turns into a project…so here’s the final product!

That, of course, is my mom.  Isn’t she cute!?

CAN’T WAIT TO SEE EVERYONE THIS WEEKEND!!!

Last minute DIY projects

There is a point when you have to tell yourself it’s too late to start a new project.  At one week out, I think I’m at that point.  Nevertheless, we were still able to squeeze a few DIY projects in at the last minute.  My date banner was my most procrastinated project by far, but I LOVE how it turned out!  Except to see that banner at the entrance to the reception — I think it will be a great added detail!

The welcome bags for out of town guests was a my sister, Katie’s, project this summer.  She stamped each paper bag with an adorable rose stamp in a sepia tone.  It made for a subtle, vintage effect, which I just can’t get enough of!

My moss letters were a budget saving attempt at accomplishing a look I really wanted to capture.  I loved the idea of hanging our initials over the stacked stone fireplace at our venue, but when I saw the moss initials on Etsy were $200+ for the set I immediately reverted to my DIY mode.  With some foam board ($4) and some live moss from my florist ($20), I was able to create the same look (at a larger scale, might I add) for a fraction of the price!  I’m proud of my penny pinching creation, and I hope it makes a dramatic statement a the wedding!

The award for the most tedious project this wedding season goes to the programs and fans!  Both of these projects began as simple concepts and evolved into multi-step processes.  Chase’s mom, Sheila, was wonderful enough to use her Cricut to make adorable tags for each of the fans that will be at the ceremony.  I can’t wait for you all to see them!  I’m not including a picture so they can be a surprise 🙂

The programs were a labor of love as well.  The multi-page booklet, fastened with Kraft and Japanese Papers and wrapped raphia was a last minute project idea (thanks to my inspiring trip to PaperSource one afternoon).  The project started in my hands — designing and printing, moved on to my mom and her friends — folding paper and unraveling raphia, then ended up back with my mom, Katie, Sheila, and me as we punched holes and assembled.  Whew!  I love how they turned out so, in my opinion, it was well worth it!  I’m hoping to have pictures to post of these soon.

Save the Date!

By now most of our guests have received their Save the Dates, and I’ve gotten a lot of questions about where they’re from.  Those of you who know me best know I had to have full control over all print design (and web, of course) for the wedding, and the Save the Dates were no exception.

For the past six months I’ve been pulling different elements of the wedding together, from the dress, to the flowers, to the colors; and through that whole process I’ve been working on designing stationary for the wedding.  As a designer, I have a the whole day planned out in my head, and getting the chance to design certain pieces of the day really makes me feel like I’m bringing my vision to life.  My Save the Date design reflects a lot of the elements that will be incorporated into the wedding, and I hope you all will be there to see it come together!

As for the details of the Save the Date cards: yes, we stamped each little red heart, cut every corner with a decorative corner punch, and embossed every envelope.  Thank you to Jeff for printing all my designs — he’s worked with me so long he knows exactly how to “deal” with my requests.  Thank you Sheila and Terri for beautifully addressing each envelope, and thank you Chase for embossing all the envelopes.  God knows I don’t have the upper body strength to get through 100 of those things.

Will you be my bridesmaid?

One of my favorite things about the wedding planning process is the DIY projects that really add a personal touch.  Soon after Chase and I got engaged, I was anxious to begin some projects to get the wedding planning underway.  I came across this precious idea on the Project Wedding blog, and couldn’t resist making one for each of my bridesmaids and the flower girl, of course.

It took quite a bit of shopping and surfing to find all the right materials, but it all paid off once they started coming together.  I chose a picture of each girl and myself to put in the lid, and I “popped the question” to each girl on the underside of the lid.  After adding a note at the bottom of each tin, I filled them up with candy and topped them with a bow.

Hopefully these will be a keepsake they can keep forever!